Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homage to Spaghetti Pie

When I was little, my mom was not the best cook - she agrees with this statement - but she had a whole bunch of really great recipes she'd make from time to time. I've made several of them on this blog over the years. One of her recipes, though, was for chicken enchiladas. I can't post the recipe because a) I've never made it, b) I don't think she makes it anymore, and c) it's all chickeny and stuff. But the point is, when people came to our house for dinner - whether it be my dad's friends, relatives, or coworkers - the requested dish was always her chicken enchiladas.

Spaghetti Pie is quite possibly my chicken enchilada. When I need to show someone that vegetarian food can be amazing, this is what I make. When I need to make something for guests that I'm positive will be well-received, this is what I make. Spaghetti Pie is the kind of thing you can make on a Sunday and warm up for lunch all week long. I've never frozen it and I'm pretty sure that would be gross, but you could always try.

It also is easy to substitute. Don't have regular tomato sauce? Use marinara. Don't want to use soy crumbles? For the love of god, use real meat. No sour cream? I ran out of sour cream the other day when I made this (for the billionth time) so I doubled the amount of cream cheese and added in some plain yogurt to help it smooth out. And guess what? You can't even tell the difference. I also didn't have spaghetti so I threw in a random assortment of rotini, macaroni, and shells. Who cares? Works fine.

This is definitely one of the best things in life. I suggest everyone make it and let me know how it goes. Have you made it before and loved it? Have you eaten it at my house and loved it? Let's discuss the wonders of Spaghetti Pie.

2 comments:

NYMeatball said...

This is pretty much the most delicious thing ever. I've had this twice, I believe, both times I've visited.

I am the world's greatest meativore, but I'm convinced that I could be vegetarian 2-3 nights a week just off of this stuff. It is delicious and magical.

I will have to make it some time, but I'm worried that I'll ruin it by adding meat. Go figure.

Denise said...

I've made it. I loved it. Jason wasn't a fan - I think the texture of the cream cheese is what threw him - so I haven't made it again. I highly recommend it, though.