Sunday, December 04, 2011

Samuel Adams Boston Lager Cheese Soup

I didn't realize I hadn't posted about this, but I guess I haven't made it in a really long time. I have a folder in my Living Cookbook that is for recipes that I've had, that I've made, but that it's been so long since I made them that it's time to re-evaluate if they need to be kept at all. So if this didn't make it on the blog, then it means it was at least six+ years ago. I remember when I got this recipe: I was 21 and went to a beer and cheese tasting at the Sam Adams Brewery outside of Boston. I had never had a beer I liked, other than Guinness, and discovered that I absolutely adored Sam Adams. That is still my beer of choice!! Delicious.

Wait I have a picture of myself at the beer tasting. Gosh that feels like forever ago.

little
{Lauren, circa 2005? Age 21. Boston MA}

So one of the things I got from that was a recipe for this soup. I made it a couple of times but I wasn't a good cook at all back then. But I kept the recipe, and I am glad I did. Whereas the other Beer-Cheddar Soup I made recently was delicious, this one is delicious in another way. It has vegetables and potatoes in it which makes it thicker and more substantial, which is excellent. I would keep both of these beer-cheese soup recipes on hand depending on the occasion, because this one is great. Nice work, Samuel.

soup

Samuel Adams Boston Lager Cheese Soup
Sam Adams Brewery

4 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup flour
1 12oz bottle of Samuel Adams Boston Lager
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups diced red potatoes
2 cups milk
3 cups Cabot Sharp Cheddar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions or scallions

In a heavy 4-quart pot or Dutch oven melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, coating the vegetables well with the roux. Whisk in the Boston Lager and stock, bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer until the soup thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook 10-15 minutes until tender. Stir in the milk, grated cheese, thyme, Worcestershire, paprika, and tomato paste. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Taste of salt and pepper and tabasco if desired. Serve in large bowls and garnish with the onions or scallions.

Yield: 6-8 servings

No comments: