Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas 2011 and Pecan Pie

Our Christmas can be summed up by my mom, who provided the toast on Christmas Eve as we ate at a diner in Carmel NY: "Cheers to another Christmas full of death and sadness." *Clink*

Because once again our holiday season was fraught with death of relatives and friends, it was still a melancholy occasion in which no one really felt like doing anything. I did bring my caramel corn, which my dad ate obsessively. And we made some Spinach-Artichoke Dip to eat on Christmas day, which was nice. I also made a pecan pie.

Now, when I bake for myself and for friends, I am so snobby and need my pie crust to be homemade and need the pie to have quality ingredients. Not so when I cook for my family because they just do not care at all. Pillsbury roll-out crusts and corn syrup abound! And so I made a super-basic pecan pie which is super-easy and at this point doesn't even require a recipe since I've made it so often, but it's on the back of a Karo Syrup bottle.

Pecan Pie
Karo Syrup

1 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen deep-dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie crust.

Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes. Cool for 2 hours on wire rack before serving.

No comments: