Friday, December 23, 2011

Cabbage Sausage Supper

I've gotten grain-sausage (not soy, but vegetarian) chorizo before and loved it, so when I saw a new variety of grain sausage at Wegmans I immediately picked it up: smoked apple-sage! TO ME, it sounded delicious. But then I didn't know what to do with it. Suddenly I remembered that my friend Laura had posted a super-simple recipe on her blog awhile back. It's like five ingredients, toss in a Dutch oven, and eat. Voila. And it sounded like it would go very well with the fake sausage.

And it did! It was very tasty! It was very similar to the Ethiopian Cabbage Dish I made awhile ago, just minus the spices and with fake-sausage instead. I would make this again if I had this sausage on hand to make it. I don't think I would go seeking it out. If you eat meat, I'm pretty sure this would be great with any smoked sausage so you might as well try it with the weird sausages you'll inevitably get in holiday gift baskets.

sausage

Cabbage Sausage Supper
Quick Cooking, January/February 2004 via Laura

2 pounds smoked sausage -- halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
1 large onion -- cut into eighths
1 medium head cabbage -- chopped
1/2 cup water
1 pound carrots -- cut into 1/2-inch slices
5 medium potatoes -- peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is lightly browned and onion is tender; drain. Add the cabbage and water. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Servings: 12

No comments: