Monday, December 12, 2011

Autumn Vegetable Roast with Orzo

I thought this would be fun and exciting because it has a lot of vegetables I do not usually cook with. In fact, I have never used celery root before. It was scary while I was preparing it - it reeks of celery (for obvious reasons). But once it was cooked, it had a different flavor. Everything went together really nicely. I used bouquet garni instead of herbes de provence because I am not a fan of the lavender that is usually in herbes de provence. And, since I'm Lauren and I never use the right pasta shape for anything, I used shells instead of orzo.

I thought this was really good. It also passed the lunchbox test. I think I should have added a little bit more balsamic, but ultimately this was really nice. I would consider making this again.

roast

Autumn Vegetable Roast with Orzo
Vegetarian Times, October 2011

Fingerling potatoes, cauliflower, celery root, fennel, and kale are roasted and served with orzo that’s studded with parsley and chickpeas.

1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
1 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
2 medium onions, thickly sliced (3 cups)
8 ounces celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 small fennel bulbs, cut into 1-inch pieces (8 oz.)
6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 12 oz bunch kale, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
3/4 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar

1. Place 1 oven rack in bottom one-third of oven and 1 rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

2. Toss potatoes, cauliflower, onions, celery root, fennel, garlic, and herbes de Provence with 3 Tbs. oil in bowl. Arrange vegetables on prepared baking sheets. Roast 1 hour, stirring occasionally and reversing positions of baking sheets halfway through.

3. Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Drain, and stir kale into vegetable mixture. Roast 5 minutes more.

4. Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, and cook 2 minutes. Drain, and transfer to bowl. Stir in parsley and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve orzo with vegetables, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Servings: 6

No comments: