Monday, November 07, 2011

Mediterranean Pitas with Muffaletta Relish

Last week I DID cook, despite what the blog implies. I just didn't make recipe type stuff. Well, Wednesday night I made my best Spinach-Artichoke Dip and then I ate that again on Thursday, and then Friday through last night I was in Florida for my uncle's wedding. So that's that. Here we go though as I attempt to cook most days this week. Hooray!

Tonight I made this little sandwich that has a quick hummus-like spread (it IS NOT hummus despite calling itself that) and olive spread. I may have cheated there - I used a pre-made olive relish from the olive bar at Wegmans. I'm sorry but it was SO MUCH cheaper just to buy a scoop full of that than all the different ingredients for the relish. So... keep that in mind. Also I added feta to the sandwich because I think everything is delicious with feta. I really liked this a lot. It's simple and filling. It kind of made me wish I'd made Greek Paninis, but I was still very happy. I'm not sure if I would make this again. I probably would. Yum!

pitas

Mediterranean Pitas with Muffaletta Relish
Vegetarian Times, June 2011

Julie DeMatteo, a retired school teacher from Clementon, N.J., modeled the relish in her colorful pita pocket after that from muffaletta—a classic New Orleans sandwich piled high with a marinated olive salad. She added a sprinkling of wheat germ for “nutrition and crunch.”

Relish:
1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped, marinade reserved
1/2 cup diced plum tomato
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
1/4 cup chopped black olives
1/4 cup chopped stuffed green olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Hummus:
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pitas:
4 6-inch pita rounds, cut in half crosswise
1/2 cup wheat germ

1. To make Relish: combine all ingredients, including reserved marinade, in medium bowl.

2. To make Hummus: blend all ingredients and 2 Tbs. water in blender until smooth.

3. To assemble Pitas: Spread 3 Tbs. Hummus into each pita half, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. wheat germ. Top with Relish, dividing evenly among Pitas. Serve immediately.

Servings: 8

No comments: