Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries

Tomorrow is a coworker's baby shower and I signed up to bring something "magical and delicious," and I forgot to plan ahead. Luckily I had everything on hand to make White Chocolate-Cashew Coffee Biscotti. Except the cashews. I substituted some toffee bits for the cashews, which I think was genius. Hopefully they go over well at the 8am baby shower.

Last night for dinner I made this couscous dish. I swear, couscous is one of the best things in the whole world. Boil some water, pour it on top, wait five minutes. How is that not amazing? And then with this, you pour the water over the couscous and rehydrate some cranberries in the process. It's insane.

So how was the food? Fantastic. I've made a lot of things like this before but I think this one is my favorite! It's wonderful. I did change the dressing a little bit - I used some regular orange juice in place of the orange zest and concentrate, which I think was a great idea. I ate it for lunch today (it passes the lunchbox test!), and for dinner tonight (and it was still amazing). I'm glad I made the full recipe. It's great left over. I would definitely make this again.

couscous

Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries
Cooking Light, July 2001

Salad:
1 1/2 cups uncooked couscous -- (about 1 [10-ounce] box)
1 cup dried cranberries -- (about 4 ounces)
1 cup frozen green peas -- thawed
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
15 1/2 ounces chickpeas -- (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained

Dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 garlic cloves -- crushed

1. To prepare salad, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Pour 2 cups boiling water over the couscous mixture; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool. Stir in onions, basil, and chickpeas.

2. To prepare dressing, combine lemon juice and the remaining ingredients in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Pour over couscous mixture, and toss well to combine. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

Servings: 8

No comments: