Monday, October 31, 2011

Sugar Cream Pie

Last Friday someone asked me: what pie are you craving? For some bizarre reason, all I could think about was sugar cream pie. I'd never even had it before. I'd seen it at the farmer's market at the Mennonite stand, but I've never actually bought it. But I decided I MUST HAVE IT. Thus, I found Martha Stewart's recipe and made some.

I thought it was excellent. My taste-testers thought it was good and meh, respectively. I didn't make the raspberry whipped cream because I am lazy, but I did throw some raspberries on the plate with it. But I really liked it. It cuts beautifully, too. I don't think I would make it again but I did really enjoy it.

If anything, I did learn that Martha's pate brisee recipe is phenomenal and I plan to use it forever whenever any flaky pie crust is needed. I made an extra disc of dough to freeze, which is very exciting to me. It's just so easy and delicious. Yum!

sugarpie

Sugar Cream Pie
Martha Stewart Living

1/2 recipe Pate Brisee (see below)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Raspberries, for serving
Raspberry Whipped Cream, for serving (recipe follows)

1. Roll out dough to an 11-inch circle (1/8 inch thick). Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; crimp edges. Refrigerate. Preheat oven to 425°. Sift sugar, flour, and salt together into a stainless-steel bowl; set aside.

2. Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot but not boiling. Whisk into sugar mixture; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Set in an ice-water bath; let cool completely.

3. Pour filling into pie shell. Dot with butter; sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°. Cover edges of crust with a foil band. Bake until a thin knife inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with berries and raspberry whipped cream.

Raspberry Whipped Cream:
2 tsp sugar
1 cup raspberries
1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream

Sprinkle sugar over raspberries in a bowl. Let stand until juices are released, about 30 minutes. Mash gently with a fork until saucy but still chunky. Beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold raspberry mixture into whipped cream, leaving it slightly swirled.

************

Pate Brisee (Pie Dough)
The Complete Martha Stewart Living Cookbook (2000), p.12

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup ice water -- (1/4 to 1/2)

1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.

2. With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

3. Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disc and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.

Yield: 1 double-crust or 2 single-crust 9- to 10-inch pie

No comments: