Sunday, October 09, 2011

Frosted Apple-Cinnamon Bars

Today I spent a huge amount of time simmering and jarring my favorite marinara sauce. I have two jars for the pantry, and five smaller freezer-jars for the chest freezer in the basement. I'm set for awhile!

Then I made these apple-cinnamon bars. I love cinnamon chips. I loved using them in the sassy cinnamon cookies I made last year. I love that we have them here, since I could never find them in Maryland. So with some fresh local apples, I went ahead and made these.

Per the Land O' Lakes website, the cream cheese frosting isn't necessary, and you could just do a dusting of powdered sugar instead. BUT, the cream cheese frosting is so freaking good, you might as well make it! These bars are wonderful and bring me great joy. They are so good for the autumn. I am so happy with them. Yay!

cinnamon

Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
Land O' Lakes

Bars
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup butter -- softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 ounces cinnamon-flavored baking chips
1 medium apple -- (1 cup) chopped

Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ground cinnamon, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in medium bowl; stir in oats.

2. Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Stir in cinnamon chips and apple.

3. Spread batter into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

4. Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.

1 comment:

dc girl said...

Those look delicious, I am going to have to try that recipe very soon.