Saturday, October 01, 2011

Blue Cheese-Topped Mushroom Steaks over Arugula

Hey! Today was another food festival at the Farmer's Market! It was a huge Garlic Festival. It was the BEST. So many people were there selling their special varieties of garlic. Everyone had tastings. I ate - get this - a chocolate-covered roasted garlic clove. I can't say it was delicious, but it wasn't bad. I also got to do this tasting of a bunch of dishes from local restaurants. For my "winner" I chose a chipotle-caramel-garlic ice cream from Porter's Pub. Seriously, it was amazing and sweet and not even a little bit what you would expect. I absolutely loved it. No eating contests today :) I learned my lesson last week!

I should also note that as I write this, I am eating pumpkin ice cream from the dairy - amazing - with some crushed up gingersnaps. I am very happy.

For dinner tonight, I made these super-easy mushroom "steaks." Now, I get a lot of crap from people for being a vegetarian, but I can assure you - this is pure, vegetarian deliciousness that is not even remotely trying to be a meat product. It is the kind of recipe where you need good-quality ingredients. I had some fresh arugula/spinach blend from the farmer's market, fresh tomatoes, aged balsamic, fresh spicy garlic from the garlic festival, and this amazing ferale cheese from Keepsake Dairy. I know I know, the ferale is not a blue cheese, but it was perfect. I did not use the grill and instead used my grill pan, but it had the same effect. It was delicious! I would definitely make this again.

not steak

Blue Cheese-Topped Mushroom Steaks over Arugula
Vegetarian Times, July/August 2011

Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
3 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
4 large portobello mushroom caps
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
8 cups baby arugula
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

1. Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.

2. Whisk together olive oil and vinegar in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and brush all over mushroom caps. Place caps on grill, and cook 15 to 18 minutes, turning once, or until tender. Transfer to cutting board to cool slightly before slicing.

3. Process garlic in food processor until minced. Add buttermilk, blue cheese, and mayonnaise; process until creamy. Stir in chives.

4. Divide arugula among plates. Top with portobellos, tomatoes, and sauce.

Servings: 4

No comments: