Monday, October 24, 2011

Baba Ghanoush

Our CSA is over for the year. Sadface :-( I really liked the surprise of getting new vegetables every week. This past week, in the last bounty of vegetables, I got two medium eggplants. I decided that was a sign that I should try out some baba ghanoush. Now, I love middle eastern food. Love love love. And I've found my perfect hummus recipe. So now it's time to explore and search for the perfect baba ghanoush recipe.

This, unfortunately, was not it. It was very good, yes. It was not perfect though, which was sad. I had high hopes for it. Oh well. It was tasty with some pita bread, olives, couscous, and dolmades. I had myself a little feast from the olive bar at Wegmans! Woo woo.

eggplant

Baba Ghanoush
Vegetarian Times, July/August 2011

This version of baba ghanoush is blended to creamy smoothness so that it can be served like hummus, for dipping pita, veggies, and crackers.

4 medium eggplants (2 1/2 lb.)
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil, for drizzling
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to broil. Prick eggplants all over with fork. Place on baking sheet, and broil 15 to 20 minutes, or until skin is blistered and eggplants feel soft to the touch, turning occasionally. Transfer to large bowl, cover with lid; cool 1 hour.

2. Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, and scoop out flesh with spoon into bowl of food processor, adding any juice that accumulated at bottom of large bowl. Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin, and purée 2 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 2 hours, or up to 3 days.

3. To serve: Spread Baba Ghanoush onto shallow plate. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with parsley.

Servings: 8

No comments: