Monday, September 19, 2011

Spice Market Sweet Potato & Lentil Packets

OK, so this is cool. Cut stuff up, wrap it up in foil, cook it. Makes a nice little spicy fall stew that is wonderful over couscous. I definitely added too much chutney to mine so if you choose to use that, go lightly! It became way too cloyingly sweet. But the whole thing itself was so good and wonderful! I used canned lentils to make it super-easy. Local sweet potatoes, red peppers, and garlic. I didn't use green beans. I was going to substitute broccoli but I found a caterpillar in my broccoli and it freaked me out (did it lay eggs?! Would I eat the eggs?!) so I changed my mind about the broccoli. The woes of buying locally.

So this was wonderful and I would definitely make it again. It was ridiculously easy with a super-fast cleanup. Hoorah!

More cell phone photos!
Here are the packets when they came out of the oven.
packet

This is what they look like when they're opened up.
packet

And this is what it looked like before it went into my tummy.
packet

Spice Market Sweet Potato and Lentil Packets
Vegetarian Times

Sweet potatoes and lentils get cooked in a curried broth inside packets for a lightly spicy dish. Serve with quinoa.

2 cups finely diced sweet potato
1 large red bell pepper, diced (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup fresh green beans, thinly sliced
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons hot sesame oil
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils or 1 15-oz. can lentils, rinsed and drained
4 tablespoons prepared mango chutney, optional

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 4 16-inch lengths of foil on work surface. Fold foil in half from short side. Unfold. Shape corners and edges of one half into semicircular "bowl" with 1/2-inch sides. Coat insides of foil with cooking spray.

2. Combine sweet potato, bell pepper, green beans, and raisins in medium bowl. Add oil, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

3. Whisk together broth, ginger, garlic, and curry powder in small bowl.

4. Divide sweet potato mixture among packets; top with 1/3 cup lentils. Pour 1/4 cup broth mixture over lentils, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Fold other half of foil over ingredients, and crimp edges in overlapping folds until packets are sealed. Transfer packets to baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes.

5. Transfer to plates. Let each person open packet carefully—escaping air will be hot. Top with chutney, if using.

Servings: 4

1 comment:

unaffected said...

YUM! I'm definitely going to try this. Sounds like you could add pretty much anything you wanted to the packets, too.

And I would have thought the same exact things about the caterpillar... lol.