Thursday, September 29, 2011

Indian-Spiced Lentils with Spinach and Rhubarb

Well, count this among one of the weirder recipes I've made (and I've made some weird things). I have tons of lentils so I wanted to use those up, and I kept seeing rhubarb at the markets... so I thought I'd try this out. With the raisins and rhubarb, there's a sweet fruity element. Then the spices are just enough to add some Indian flavor but not too much to actually count it as a curry. It really is just.... weird. It was good. I ate all of it. But I would never make it again. Didn't do it for me.

I also randomly made some Roasted Broccoli because I got some from the farm yesterday and decided I wanted to eat it today. It didn't really go with the lentils, but the rhubarb didn't either so whatever.

rhubarb

Indian-Spiced Lentils with Spinach and Rhubarb
Vegetarian Times, June 2011

Rhubarb’s fruity flavor complements the Indian spices, sweet raisins, and velvety spinach in this dish. For a more complete dinner, serve over a cooked whole grain, such as quinoa or brown rice.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
1 medium red onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 1/2 pound frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed
6 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Cover skillet, and cook 2 minutes, or until seeds begin to pop. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until popping stops, shaking skillet often. Remove from heat, stir in ginger and garlic, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and set aside.

2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and raisins; sauté 10 minutes, or until onions begin to brown. Stir in lentils and 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 minutes. Stir in rhubarb and remaining 1/2 cup broth; cook 6 minutes. Add spinach, cover, and cook mixture 6 minutes more. Stir mixture to incorporate rhubarb and spinach leaves, then stir in spice mixture. Serve garnished with cilantro.

Servings: 6

No comments: