Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chickpea, Apple, and Beet Panini

First of all, Friday I made Butter Paneer Masala. I could just eat that forever. It is so good.

This weekend at the farmer's market, I found some lovely golden beets and apples, and it reminded me I had this recipe. I picked up some bread and voila! Dinner. (I already had everything else.) I've made a lot of unique vegetarian sandwiches lately and this was definitely one of the most bizarre since it has like a zillion different flavors, but it was REALLY good! I would definitely make it again when I find pretty golden beets.

I'm going to miss the farmer's market so much when the season is over :(

Sorry, this is a cellphone photo.
sandwich

Chickpea, Beet, and Apple Panini
Vegetarian Times, July 2011

Never had raw beet in a sandwich? This panini will have you hooked.

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas -- or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I DID NOT USE VEGAN)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
8 slices sesame semolina bread (8 oz)
1 medium golden beet, peeled and sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup broccoli or radish sprouts
4 tablespoons prepared black olive tapenade

1. Pulse chickpeas, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and tarragon in food processor until chunky.

2. Spread chickpea mixture on 4 bread slices. Top with beet and apple slices, and sprouts. Spread remaining 4 bread slices with tapenade; close sandwiches.

3. Coat skillet or grill pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Place panini in pan; weight with smaller-diameter saucepan weighted with 1 or 2 cans. Cook 2 minutes, remove weight, flip panini, replace weight, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more (or cook 4 minutes in panini maker).

Servings: 4

No comments: