Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

I love eggplant parm. When we go to Italian restaurants, the likelihood that I will order an eggplant parm is high. When we try out a new pizza restaurant, I'll pretty quickly order an eggplant parm sub to judge the quality of the restaurant. I love it.

I have not had good experiences making it at home. It's hard to make it without the eggplant getting bitter, and since I won't deep-fry things, that also takes away from what makes restaurant parm so delicious. BUT! We keep getting eggplant from the farm, so I decided to try this recipe out.

It was not bad! I did pan-fry the eggplant so that was nice. I also used way too much cheese which was wonderful. Cheese is wonderful. I thought this was really good. I would keep this recipe around but I don't know if I will make it again.

parm

Eggplant Parmesan
Vegetarian Times

Slender Japanese eggplant comes in a perfect single-serving size and needs no salting before you cook it. Try different pasta sauces for a variety of flavor results.

1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
1/4 cup low-sodium bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 5- to 6-inch Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices on the diagonal
1 small egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat small baking dish with cooking spray, and spread with 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce.

2. Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in shallow bowl. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Cook slices in single layer in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until light brown. Place half of eggplant slices in single layer in prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons mozzarella and 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Discard remaining egg and breadcrumbs.

3. Place remaining eggplant slices, remaining sauce, and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over eggplant in dish. Sprinkle with dried basil. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown, or microwave 5 minutes, turning baking dish halfway through cooking time to heat evenly.

Servings: 1

No comments: