Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer Squash Casserole

To use up the tons and tons of squash we got from the farm this week, I thought it would be fun to try out this recipe from Carrie, who is pretty regularly sending me recipes involving tons of butter and sour cream. I am not complaining. I like butter and sour cream.

To vegetarian-ify this recipe, I just switched the chicken soup to cream of celery. That worked well. I'd imagine cream of broccoli would also work nicely. It was lovely. I really liked this and it was a great way to use up the squash. I look forward to taking it for lunch tomorrow! I also think it would be fun (though extra-calorie-filled) to top it with shredded cheese. Hmmmm.. Yum.

casserole

Summer Squash Casserole
From Carrie Barta

2 1/2 pounds summer or yellow squash
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded carrots
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 8-ounce container sour cream
8 ounce bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb-Seasoned Stuffing Crumbs
1 stick of butter, melted

1. Wash and slice squash thinly. Place in pot of boiling water along with onions. Cook until squash is tender. (This is important - if it's not tender, the whole casserole has a gritty feel to it.) Drain. Add carrots.

2. Mix together sour cream and chicken soup and pour into veggie mixture.

3. Mix butter and stuffing crumbs. Layer as follows: veggie mixture, stuffing crumbs, veggie mixture and top with remaining stuffing crumbs.

4. Bake at 340 degrees F. for about 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

4 comments:

Summastarlet said...

Lauren, you really need to come and be my personal chef!! :-p Yum, yum yum!!!

unaffected said...

Yum! I think I'll give this a shot tonight! :)

Denise said...

We have this same recipe and I freaking love it.

Karolyn said...

Ohhh, I will have to try this sometime! I am always looking for things to do with squash.