Friday, July 15, 2011

Carolina-Style Barbecue Sandwiches

I saw this recipe awhile ago and thought it sounded good, and then I found shredded seitan at Wegmans so I decided it was the universe's way of telling me to make it. Oh my goodness, I'm glad I did. It was fantastic. The seitan freaks me out, but in the sauce it was delicious. We had it with coleslaw and some roasted vegetables. It was an awesome meal, especially when followed by the cherry pie. Awesome.

bbq

Carolina-style Barbecue Sandwiches
Vegetarian Times

A tangy mustard-based sauce distinguishes Carolina-style barbecue from its sweeter Kansas City cousin. This recipe makes 2 cups of sauce, leaving plenty to serve on the side. For crunch in your sandwiches, buy coleslaw at the deli, or make Deep South Slaw.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup no-salt-added ketchup, such as Heinz
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces seitan, cut into thin strips
4 hamburger-style buns
12 pickle chips, optional
1 cup prepared coleslaw, optional

Bring vinegar, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, hot sauce, black pepper, and salt to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes. Transfer 1 cup sauce to bowl, and set aside. Add seitan to saucepan, and cook 10 minutes. Divide among buns. Serve with pickle chips, coleslaw, and extra sauce, if using.

Servings: 4

No comments: