Sunday, July 03, 2011

Brownie Scones

The other day it was casually mentioned to me that I - a super-anxious Type A person - "channel [my] nervous energy into creative activities like cooking and scrapbooking." An obvious observation, but one that I had not personally noticed. But it's true. I love to bake. I don't necessarily even eat everything I make (I mean, I eat some but not all), hence why I really love to bring things to work or parties or as gifts. Cooking is a hobby to me, just like scrapbooking and sewing and making jewelry. I may not be awesome at it, but it brings me a sense of peace.

We went to see Bridesmaids last night and the main character zens out while creating one single beautiful cupcake complete with fondant flower petals. One of my favorite movies is Waitress, where the main character vents her frustrations by inventing new pies. I identify so strongly with this! When I am baking, I am zoned. I am measuring and tasting and mixing and it is a wonderful feeling. It calms me.

So I guess that's why I made these scones. There is no reason to have made them, especially since the baked good I was planning for the weekend is a zucchini bread (which you will just have to wait for). But oh, my, I am so glad I made them. They are delicious. They are a food I would make for overnight guests for breakfast. Do you like chocolate Pop-Tarts? I do, but they're so overprocessed and trans-fatty that I won't buy them. Well, these taste a lot like chocolate Pop-Tarts. This makes me incredibly joyous. I wouldn't say they're truly scone-like, but they're close enough to count. With a cup of coffee, this would be a wonderful way to start the day. Definitely keeping this recipe on hand!

One more thing. I have a confession. I don't have a pastry blender. And using two knives? Just doesn't work for me. How do I do it? I use my hands and squish it all together. Probably totally wrong, but it works fine for me and that is good enough.

scone

Brownie Scones
Baking Unplugged, via CLBB (sneezles)

Very rich, very chocolatey but much lighter than brownies.

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
2 teaspoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
3.5 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven 375

2. In a small bowl of simmering water, melt the unseetened chocolate and set aside but keep warm enough to prevent is solidifying.

3. In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; whisk until well combined. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until only a few pea sized bits remain. In another bowl combine the 1/3 cup of cream, molasses, egg, and vanilla, whisk until well blended. Drizzle the egg mixture over the flour mixture and then drizzle the melted chocolate. Using a fork, stir until the mixture just begins to hold together. Lightly mix in the finely chopped chocolate. There will be some bit of unincorporated dry ingredients in the bottom of the bowl-not to worry-don't mix past this point.

4. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (I used my silpats). Turn out the dough onto a lightly flour surfaced using well-floured hands and divide the mass in half. With floured hands, form the two pieces of dough into two 5" squares about 1 1/2" high. It is okay to gently work the dough a little to form it into a nice square, tucking in the rough edges. With a bench scraper or chef's knife, cut each piece into four triangles. Carefully move the triangles to the prepared baking sheet, setting them at least an inch apart. Brush with 2tbs of whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Cool at least 3 minutes on the baking sheet and then cool 3-4 minutes on a rack. (I ended up cooling completely on the baking sheet).

Yield: 8 huge

1 comment:

Denise said...

You probably could use a food processor or a blender. I made use of a Magic Bullet blender thingy as well.