Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vanilla Kefir Ice Cream

A friend has been talking up the virtues of kefir for, well, forever. I was told it is good for you but really weird and not so awesome-tasting. "Yeasty" was a word used to describe it. So: Fermented yeasty milk? Awesome. I finally got a homemade batch and pondered what to do with it. Make a smoothie with it, as recommended? Bake some sourdough bread, since it can be similar to a sourdough starter?

No. I'm Lauren, and I apparently can't do anything normal.

So I made ice cream. Of course. It was weird-smelling, so I found this recipe that incorporates a lot of sugar and vanilla extract. Should be good, right? I don't know. I'm very conflicted. It's... not horrible. It kind of tastes like a farm. But with a yeasty aftertaste. It's weird as hell. I hope I have an opportunity to make something with kefir again to see how it turns out, since this was probably not a purist way of being introduced to it. But at least it was fun!

kefir

Vanilla Kefir Ice Cream
Tammy's Recipes

2 cups kefir (may substitute plain yogurt)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. In a 4-cup measuring cup (or medium bowl) stir together the kefir and sugar, until sugar is dissolved.

2. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker bowl and churn until thick and creamy! Enjoy fresh as a "soft serve" consistency, or freeze for later.

Yield: 6 cups

No comments: