Monday, June 13, 2011

Sauteed Kohlrabi with Onions and Cream

When we got our bag from our CSA last week, we found this wondrous alien-like item:
kohlrabi

What is this, you ask? It is kohlrabi. What is kohlrabi? Well, it has the texture of a turnip and tastes kind like cabbage. Fun fact: When I looked it up on Wikipedia just now, I discovered that "kohlrabi" means "cabbage-turnip." HAHAHAHA. I win.

So. It is a bizarre vegetable. The kohlrabi we got did not have big leaves, like it typically does, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. So I searched on Martha Stewart, because she always comes through for me, and found this quick recipe. I had to alter it, obviously, since I didn't have the greens (or cream, so I used half and half) and I didn't want to use onions since I was making a pasta with onions. Plus this was a super-small version of the recipe since my kohlrabi was already really small. So basically I sauteed the kohlrabi in some butter and then poured half & half over it. And it was delicious. I certainly would make this again if we get more kohlrabi!

kohlrabi

Sauteed Kohlrabi with Onions and Cream
Martha Stewart

Cubed peeled kohlrabi
Thinly sliced white onion
Unsalted butter
Finely shredded kohlrabi leaves
Heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Grated nutmeg

Cook kohlrabi and onion in butter over medium-high heat until almost tender. Stir in kohlrabi leaves, and cook until wilted. Add a generous splash of heavy cream, and cook for a few seconds to reduce. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve with chicken, pork chops, or steak.

No comments: