Thursday, June 23, 2011

Greek Pizzette

I find recipes in the weirdest places. This one apparently came from a free mini-magazine CVS was distributing some time ago. It's surprisingly classy and surprisingly good. I was worried it would be too many flavors at once, but it worked beautifully. I couldn't find fresh figs so I used some packaged ones I found - next to the halloumi, incidentally. It was delicious and enjoyable. I am surprised to say I would make this again!

Oh, I accidentally broiled them too long so they look a little toasty. Hush.

pizzette

Greek Pizzette
CVS magazine

I'll be honest with you, unless I have a party coming up, my refrigerator isn't exactly overflowing. Maybe you can relate? This is partly because I'm always at the restaurants, and I tend to wind up eating whatever the chefs can toss together while they're closing the kitchen. One night, with barely any effort, Michael Psilakis did what comes so naturally to him: He tapped into his Greek culinary roots and took off from there. These little pizzas are, honestly, to die for.

4 pocketless pitas
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fig jam
1/2 pound halloumi cheese, cut into 1/4" slices
2 cups baby arugula
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 fresh figs, halved lengthwise

1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. Brush both sides of the pitas with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Let cool slightly.

3. Meanwhile, turn on the broiler and set the rack 6" from the heat source. Spread the pitas with the fig jam, then top each with some halloumi. Slide the pitas under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until the halloumi is melted.

4. Put the arugula in a large bowl, add the lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and toss to thoroughly coat all the leaves. Season with the oregano, salt and pepper. Divide the arugula among the pitas. Top each with two fig halves. Arrange on a platter, and serve.

Servings: 4

No comments: