Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Asparagus with Wasabi Mayonnaise

I recently came across a folder on my computer of Really Old Recipes. These are like, recipes from when I was first learning to cook. I'd spent years reading cooking magazines and watching cooking shows (from before the Food Network, even! I've watched Bobby Flay forever!) so I thought I could just jump right in. So I did. My poor mom had to help for quite awhile, until I was at least a junior/senior in college and had a better grasp on things.

Anyway, so there are all these old recipes. I figure I should try them out and figure out if a) they're worth keeping, and b) they taste better now that I know what I'm doing in the kitchen.

Tonight's Really Old Recipe is this asparagus side dish. I remember making it my senior year of high school. I don't remember what I made it with but it was something stupid. I thought it was awesome back then. I made it tonight and it was so freaking fast and quick, I can't believe I thought it was hard once upon a time. Steaming asparagus? Really, self? Ugh. But the point is, it was pretty good. A little strong on the soy sauce so I'd probably reduce that by a lot. And I needed a stronger wasabi because mine disappeared into the ether and that was sad. This was good, but it is not in fact Worth Keeping.

mayo

Asparagus with Wasabi Mayonnaise
Food Network: Sara Moulton

You can substitute wasabi powder for the wasabi paste in this recipe, but we find that the paste imparts a fresher flavor. Force the wasabi powder through a very fine sieve before using.

3 pounds thin to medium asparagus, trimmed
1 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons wasabi paste

1. Blanch asparagus in 2 batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water 1 minute. Transfer to a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry.

2. Whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and wasabi paste until sugar is dissolved.

3. Serve asparagus with dip.

Servings: 6

No comments: