Monday, May 30, 2011

Five-Minute Hummus

So I'm a very defensive, competitive person. It's in my nature.

So when someone at work questioned why I buy hummus versus making it myself, I automatically took it as a personal challenge. Why don't I make my own hummus? What makes Tribe hummus so much better than something I could make in my food processor? Challenge accepted.

This was the first hummus recipe I found (because you know I can't cook without a recipe) and it was super simple. The hummus is good, but there's something off about it. I can't quite figure it out. Maybe it's the olive oil? Maybe I need a different one? I'm not sure yet. I will take this for lunch throughout the week but I will probably try a different recipe in the future. Oh, and I tripled the recipe because I really eat a lot of hummus.

hummus

5-minute Hummus
Real Simple, May 2010

15 ounces chickpeas -- rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil -- plus more for serving
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini -- (sesame seed paste; optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

1. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.

2. Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving.

No comments: