Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CSA: Week 1

I did make some things this week but I don't have the photos yet so I haven't posted the recipes.

But! I do have a photo of my latest acquisition: a big bag of fresh vegetables from Clear Springs Farm, a CSA (community-supported agriculture) near my house. I just finished reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and that gave me a whole new perspective on farming in general, so I am even happier that we signed up for the CSA (which we had to do a few months ago!). This week's bounty was "small" according to the owners, due to all the rain and tornadoes and stuff, but I was very happy with it:

veggies

We have some lettuce, a huge bag of spinach, radishes, green onions, and rhubarb! This means I will definitely have to make something strawberry-rhubarb this weekend.

I also learned that they sell eggs at the farm, and given that I can see the chickens that are laying them, I will be purchasing eggs from them weekly from now on.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Mmm... there is nothing like fresh eggs. Neal's grandma had the best eggs... I need to find someone around here who has the same type of chickens she uses though because I bought some from someone down the road and they just didn't compare!

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.