Last Friday I made this for dinner. It was really weird, honestly. There's thyme and balsamic vinegar in it, and it doesn't seem to know if it wants to be Asian or Italian or some weird combination of both. The whole thing is just odd. Neither of us really liked it very much. I guess it was healthy. Not a make-again.
Sesame-Crusted Tofu Sticks with Vegetable Saute
Cooking Light, June 2002
Double-breading the tofu sticks gives them a crisp exterior. Look for ABC sauce in Asian markets.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
15 ounces extra-firm tofu -- drained and cut into 18 sticks
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil -- divided
6 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 garlic clove -- minced
1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps -- (about 10 mushrooms)
2 cups sliced green onions -- (2-inch)
1 cup cherry tomatoes -- halved
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Japanese sweet and sour sauce -- (such as ABC sauce; optional)
1. To prepare tofu, combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and sesame seeds in a shallow dish.
2. Dip tofu, one piece at a time, in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Return tofu to egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining tofu, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of tofu; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and tofu. Keep warm.
4. To prepare vegetables, pour pineapple juice into pan. Bring to a boil; cook until juice is reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove from pan.
5. Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots, minced garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green onions, tomatoes, and thyme, and cook 1 minute. Stir in pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar, and cook 30 seconds.
6. Arrange about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 3 tofu sticks. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon sweet and sour sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.