Friday, March 04, 2011

Noodle Bowl

"That's not a recipe."

"It IS a recipe. I'm reading it and doing what it says. It counts. It's telling me what to do."

"It's ramen noodles with stuff in it."

"Shut up, I haven't properly cooked in days so it COUNTS."

And that is the story of how I made myself some glorified ramen noodles last night. It wasn't bad. I probably would just make regular ramen noodles in the future but tossing in shrimp and vegetables definitely made it pretend to be healthier. Hooray!

No picture because I forgot.

Noodle Bowl
Southern Living, March 2009

3 ounces Oriental-flavored ramen noodle soup mix
2 cups water
1 chopped green onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh snow peas -- trimmed
6 peeled and deveined medium-size raw shrimp -- (26/30 count)
1/4 cup shredded napa cabbage
1 tablespoon chopped peanuts -- (1 to 2)

1. Stir together flavor packet from ramen noodle soup mix, 2 cups water, chopped green onion, and chopped fresh cilantro in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; add noodles and snow peas. Cook 1 minute, and stir in shrimp. Cook 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and top with shredded cabbage and chopped peanuts.

2. Note: You can substitute 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken for the shrimp.

Servings: 1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm at home, I never make ramen without some additions - even if it's just onion!

-Jess

nadine said...

Oh that sounds good, non recipe or not! I'm adding it to my "to make" list.