Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hamantashen

Today is Purim! For you gentiles, Purim is a holiday to celebrate the narrow escape of genocide by the terrible ruler Haman thousands of years ago in Persia. It should be noted that I am not Jewish either, but I enjoy celebrating holidays. Especially when they involve delicious treats, which most do - Purim especially, which is kind of like a Jewish Mardi Gras. Hamantashen are little triangular pastries typically eaten on Purim. Their shape represents the three-cornered hat Haman used to wear. (Well, they're supposed to. Mine came out ugly and weren't shaped right, but they're supposed to be perfectly triangular.)

I got this recipe from a parent of a student I worked with a few years ago. We had a cooking day once a week in the classroom, and she came in to make these with the kids for Purim. Easy-peasy and tasty. I made three varieties: almond (with almond paste), raspberry (pie filling), and chocolate (just sprinkled some chocolate chips). I put some toasted slivered almonds on top of the almond ones. That variety was a little strong, but the chocolate and raspberry ones are delicious. I have never seen another recipe for this so I don't know if this is the "best" or not, but it is sufficient. I will make this again next year.

purim

Hamantashen

2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Various fillings:
Pie fillings (no jelly)
Chocolate chips or other varieties of chips
Almond paste

Mix together, adding an extra egg if the dough is too dry. Roll out into circles, fill with about 1 tablespoon of filling, and fold up edges into a little triangular packet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Happy Purim!

No comments: