Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mushroom and Fontina Quesadillas

Mushrooms. Fontina (my favorite). Quesadillas. What could go wrong?

I absolutely abhorred it. I have no idea why I hated it. I just didn't think it was good. I don't know what happened. I'm not going to make it again, and that surprises me.

quesadilla

Mushroom and Fontina Quesadillas
Cooking Light, May 2007

Substitute Monterey Jack cheese for fontina, if you wish. Chop the vegetables in advance; refrigerate. Finish the recipe just before serving.

Cooking spray
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
2 1/2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps
4 cups finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (8-inch) wholes wheat flour tortillas
1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese -- (1 ounce) divided

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and jalapeño; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and salt; sauté 5 minutes or until moisture evaporates. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.

2. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Return pan to heat; add 1 tortilla. Cook 1 minute; turn tortilla over. Arrange about 1/3 cup mushroom mixture over half of tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold in half; cook 30 seconds on each side or until cheese melts and tortilla is golden. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, mushroom mixture, and cheese. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.

Servings: 8

No comments: