Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Garlic-Roasted Kale

I've been hearing about the wonders of roasted kale a lot lately so I finally decided to try it. We had it as a side dish to Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwiches with Poppy Seed Spread. It was great. Oh my goodness. I'm so glad I bought a club pack of kale so I can make it again and again this week. It's addictive, too! You don't even need the sherry vinegar if you don't want to use it. Olive oil and salt is enough. Oh this is just a delicious and easy side dish. We will definitely make it again.

kale

Garlic-Roasted Kale
Cooking Light, November 2010

Roasting kale is amazing—the leaves turn from a dusty dark green to dark emerald with brown-tinged curly edges that crunch. This vegetable side is delicious served hot from the oven; the leaves lose their crisp texture as the dish stands.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
1 1/2 pounds kale -- stems removed and chopped
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar

1. Arrange oven racks in center and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°. Place 2 large jelly-roll pans in oven for 5 minutes.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Divide kale mixture evenly between hot pans, spreading with a silicone spatula to separate leaves. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes. Stir kale, and rotate pans. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until edges of leaves are crisp and kale is tender.

3. Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Servings: 10

2 comments:

Denise said...

I have heard so much about roasted kale. I'm glad that it's good! Maybe I will try it.

Lisa S. said...

My old roommate used to drizzle sesame oil on it and cook it in the oven on a baking sheet(not sure if it was baked/broiled etc.?) until it was crunchy and eat it as a snack.

I never tried it but she loved it.