Monday, December 20, 2010

Cocoa Tassies with Peppermint Creme Filling

I know I've been slacking on the updating. In fact, I've been slacking on the cooking! We've ordered out (there's a Mexican restaurant that delivers) and gone to holiday parties and, in general, avoided eating healthy food. I am trying to change that back. Last night we had Salmon with Puff Pastry and Pesto, and tonight we had Halushki. Baby steps.

Yesterday I prepared these tassies (little tartlets) for my holiday office party today. I thought they turned out wonderfully. Definitely not very pretty because I didn't even bother trying to pipe in the filling, but I thought they were quite delicious. So did the people at my office who ate them... but out of 2 dozen tassies, only 7 were eaten. Seven! Why did so few people take them? I assume because they were ugly, but maybe it was due to all the cake and pie.... I don't know. But I was excited to bring them back home, and then BAM they all fall out of my car when I got to the post office. Yeah. Really. What? So they are all gone. Sucks. I would make them again though! They are great for Christmas!

tassie

Cocoa Tassies with Peppermint Creme Filling
Joe's Blog

For the Tassies:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg yolk, beaten
2 tablespoons icy cold water

For the creme filling:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted and divided
1-2 tablespoons milk, divided

1. To make the tassies: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter cubes into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and cold water.

3. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. To help the dough along, lightly knead the dough just until it starts to form a ball. Scoop dough onto a piece of saran wrap and cover - refrigerate for about 60 minutes so it will be easier to handle.

4. Preheat the oven to 375

5. Evenly divide dough into 36 pieces - roll each into a ball. Press one dough ball into the bottom and up the sides of a miniature muffin cup. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.

6. Bake until the shells are firm, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and set on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the shells and let them cool completely.

7. To make the filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, marshmallow creme and peppermint extract until smooth. Mix in 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk. Add in the next 1 cup confectioners' sugar and mix until combined. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the final cup of confectioners' sugar. If this mixture is too thick to easily pipe, mix in 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.

8. Pipe filling into the shells and scatter crushed peppermint candies on each.

Yield: 3 dozen

No comments: