Sunday, November 21, 2010

Veggie Panini

I had planned to make something different tonight but was saddened to discover I've run out of pinto beans. I'm a bit of a food hoarder; I stock up on canned goods when I have good coupons and sales. So I have a zillion cans of beans in the basement... and none are pinto.

So I switched nights. I'll make tonight's dinner tomorrow, and I made tomorrow's dinner tonight. It was super-easy and tasty. I made it on the Griddler. I would make it again.

panini

Veggie Panini
Shape magazine

Olive oil cooking-spray
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 16oz whole-grain baguette, cut into 4 equal pieces and halved crosswise
8 tsp prepared sun-dried tomato pesto
1 cup sliced roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar)
1 cup watercress leaves
8 oz thinly sliced or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and cook 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Set aside.

Coat one side of each baguette piece with 2 tsp of the pesto. Top pesto with eggplant slices, red peppers, watercress, and cheese. Coat the same large skillet or griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add sandwiches. Place a clean, heavy skillet on top of the sandwiches and cook 3-4 minutes, until sandwiches are golden on bottom. Remove the top skillet, flip sandwiches and repeat process, cooking 2-3 minutes, until second side is golden and cheese melts.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: