Today I took a course in Reiki, hosted at my home. In typical Lauren fashion, I welcomed my guests with homemade doughnuts. Since a few of my friends have been talking about cider doughnuts lately, I decided to try this recipe out. And oh, boy, is it good. Definitely a make-again. To make it even more awesome, I used Penzeys Vanilla Sugar to sprinkle in the pan instead of just regular sugar. Yum yum yum!
So now we know: if you visit me in the summer, I will make lemon poppyseed doughnuts. If you visit in the fall, you'll get apple cider doughnuts. All baked, of course! Awesome.
Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts
Joe's Blog, adapted from Eating Well
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Granulated sugar, for preparing pans
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, cider, yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla. Pour mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
4. Coat doughnut pans with nonstick spray, then sprinkle each individual well with granulated sugar, tapping out excess when coated. Fill doughnut wells about two-thirds full, then gently tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Place into the oven and bake until the tops spring back when lightly pressed or a toothpick placed in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 9 to 12 minutes for a regular sized pan, or 7 to 8 minutes in a miniature doughnut pan.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 or 3 minutes before turning the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Clean pans and repeat process with remaining batter.
Joe's Note: Using one small and one large pan, we made 9 large plus 12 small doughnuts.