Thursday, October 28, 2010

Howlin' Candy Corn Cookie Bark

So this is what happened. I thought I'd be fun and make some candy corn bark for my office for Halloween. Except while I was melting the white chocolate, it started to solidify. Within seconds, it was like the consistency of an Oreo cookie filling. Crap. I tried my best to re-melt it but failed. So I did what any desperate cook would do: I attempted to mash it on top of the Oreos and pretzels by hand. Ouch! I burned myself. And it only sort of worked, because although I managed to get it to cover almost all of the pieces, it was crumbly. I didn't have any more white chocolate, but I did have half a package of milk chocolate. So I melted that and then poured it on top of the white chocolate, hoping it would bind it. And it kind of did! This certainly isn't bark, but it isn't inedible either. It's actually quite tasty. I'm sure it would be better - and look better - if it was made properly!

bark

Howlin' Candy Corn Cookie Bark
CLBB (Valchemist)

16 Halloween oreos -- chopped
1 1/2 cups mini pretzels broken in pieces
12 oz. white chocolate chips
2 c candy corn (or to taste)
brown and orange colored sprinkles

Spread cookies and pretzels into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle on lightly greased baking sheet; set aside.

Place chocolate in small heavy saucepan on very low heat; stir constantly just until melted.

Drizzle melted chocolate immediately over cookie mixture, spreading with spatula to coat evenly. Top with candy corn and colored sprinkles. Lightly press candy into mixture.

Cool until firm. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container.

No comments: