Monday, September 13, 2010

Potato-and-Cauliflower Dal with Spicy Shallots

Tonight I made my favorite Bhel Puri. Delicious as always! I even accidentally burned the sev in the oven and it still turned out beautifully. Yum.

Yesterday I tried out my new (used) crockpot I got from Vicky. It's way cool and looks like it's from the Jetsons. I decided to try out this curry recipe. I was blown away by the fact that it didn't burn. You may remember my last crockpot burned itself to death. It seems that Rivals get too hot too quickly. This one is a Corningware so I guess it works better.

So I made this curry and had a blast with my crockpot, but the dinner itself was only meh. I forgot to make the spicy shallots but I don't think it would have made a whole lot of difference. I was happy to finally be able to use up the rest of my yellow split peas, though!

curry

Potato-and-Cauliflower Dal with Spicy Shallots
150 Best Slowcooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson
via CLBB (Helios7)

1 cup yellow split peas (soaked, drained and rinsed, covered with boiling water and let it sit for 30 minutes)
2 tablespoons clarified butter or vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups vegetable broth (may add an additional cup of water)
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small cauliflower cut into florets
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Spicy Shallots
2 tablespoons clarified butter or vegetable oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or lemon juice

1. In a skillet, heat butter or oil. Add onions, celery and cook until softened. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth or water, and bring to a boil. Place potatoes, cauliflower and soaked peas in slow cooker. Pour onion mixture over and stir well.

2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours until vegetables are tender.

3. To make spicy shallots: In a skillet heat butter or oil over medium high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring until crisp. Remove pan from heat. Add chilies, cilantro and basalmic vinegar or lemon juice. Transfer to small boil, ladle dal into bowls and top with spicy shallots.

Yield: 6-8 servings

No comments: