Wednesday, August 18, 2010

All-Grown Up Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Whaaaaat? I baked? And on a Wednesday? I got off work early today and I guess I was just in the mood. So I finally made this cookie recipe that I had planned to make over the weekend.

Now, if you've read my blog for awhile you know that I already have two chocolate chip cookies. I make Alton Brown's Chewy for gifts, parties, and large quantities. I make Giant Chocolate Chunk Cookies when we just really want some cookies and milk. So, why did I make another chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Well, it all boils down to this: he is an impulse shopper at the grocery store. No matter how much he eats before we go, he ends up buying something that he never plans to consume. One day we were at Wegmans and they had a sample of fruit smoothies made with Ovaltine. For some reason, he felt that we MUST BUY the Ovaltine. So we did, and he came home and drank some and realized it is gross.

And then we had a tub of Ovaltine left in the cabinet.

So when I found this recipe that uses Ovaltine in the batter, I had to make it. Because then at least the purchase wasn't all for naught. And it was worth it! These cookies are delicious. They definitely have a different flavor, but it isn't noticeably Ovaltine or espresso. It's just rich and almost caramel-like. It's good. I would recommend baking for a little longer than they suggest because our cookies were still really gooey after 11 minutes. And if you can't find Lyle's Golden Syrup, you can substitute corn syrup (though I really recommend finding Lyle's!). I won't add this to the rotation, but it's a nice way to use up the rest of the Ovaltine!

cookies

All-Grown Up Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Joe's Blog

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
16 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat to 375

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt baking powder and baking soda.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined. Add golden syrup and beat until creamy. Mix in the egg, vanilla, malted milk powder and espresso powder. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Drop heaping tablespoons worth of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake until the edges are golden, but the center still looks a little under done, about 9 to 11 minutes. Remove and place the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing the cookies to cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen

No comments: