Saturday, July 17, 2010

Roasted Corn & Poblano Chowder

I wanted to get this up earlier but there were some technical complications. I made this on Thursday night. (Last night I made some Rising Moon Garlic & Herb ravioli - vegan! - because I got home too late to really cook.) But back to the chowder. This is what our conversation was like as we began eating it.

G: "This is delicious."
L: "Oh my gosh, it is. I've had this recipe forever. Why have I never made it before?"
G: "I don't know, but you're going to be making it way more now."

It's really easy (no blender involved!) and VERY good. I took the seeds out of the poblano so it wasn't too spicy, and I reduced the butter, used fat-free half-and-half, and subbed in veggie stock. I try my best with Paula recipes. But this definitely is one of the best chowders I've made. VERY good. Definitely a make-again.

chowder

Roasted Corn and Poblano Chowder
Cooking with Paula Deen, Jan/Feb 2006

2 large poblano peppers, cut in half lengthwise
3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cups peeled and chopped baking potato
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ancho chili powder
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half

In an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet, bake peppers, skin side up, and corn, at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, or until peppers and corn look blistered. Place peppers in a resealable plastic bag; seal, and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel pepper; remove and discard seeds. Coarsely chop pepper; set pepper and corn aside.

In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add onion, red bell pepper, and potato. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally . Add flour, salt, and chili powder, and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth; cook for 15 minutes. Add roasted corn and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in half-and-half; cook 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: