Monday, July 05, 2010

4th of July!

This year we hosted my family and Gibby's mom at our house for the 4th of July! They came out and stayed with us last night. It was fun! It officially makes me feel grown up because this is the first time we've ever hosted a holiday at our home. Hooray!

During the day I had a bunch of cheeses, crackers, sausagey things, and fruit for people to eat. Nancy brought some beautiful cherries. I had to remind myself to stop eating them because I'm mildly allergic to them, but they were just so yummy! There was pepperoni and salami for the carnivores, too. We had a brie cheese, a delicious applewood-smoked cheddar, and - just for fun - a "sticky toffee cheese" that was actually pretty good!

stars

For dinner, we bought some pre-formed hamburgers and chicken breasts (so no raw prepping in the kitchen, hooray!) and a veggie burger for me and we grilled them out back. Nancy made a caesar salad, and we roasted some corn on the grill. I made Honey-Chipotle Baked Beans that were delicious. I left out the chipotle pepper and instead sprinkled some ground chipotle on top to lower the spicy factor, but apparently my perceptions of spice are off because, while I barely noticed it, my dad said it was WAY too hot. Oh well.

It was too hot outside so we ate dinner in the dining room for the very first time. Gibby and I usually eat at our kitchen table since it's just the two of us, so this was momentous.

table

After dinner, we went out and exploded some ginormous fireworks in our front yard. It was very exciting. I brought out little bowls of Banana Pudding (always a hit!) and my mom made my recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars. I am excited because she also brought me some extra rhubarb to store in the freezer! I can't wait to cook with it!

We'd planned to make s'mores but after all the pudding and squares we all were a little sugar-rushed.

Tonight to detoxify after our families left, I made super-simple Halushki and we were very happy.

No comments: