Monday, June 28, 2010

Watermelon Cake

Well, it's my birthday. I am 26. Yesterday I made a cake for myself while our friends were here. It is pretty good but isn't as wonderful as I'd been envisioning over the past month since deciding on the recipe. It could probably be tweaked to be pretty good. I don't know. I liked eating it but I wouldn't make it again.

cake

cake

Note: all typing, typos, and notes are from the original post that I got the recipe from! I am too lazy to edit it all right now.

Watermelon Cake
Blue Willow Inn Cookbook, by Jane and Michael Stern
Posted on CLBB (Valchemist)

Val's Notes: while this cake does not need refrigeration and tastes very good at room temperature, I kind of like it chilled from the fridge for that cold watermelon effect. it would be fine sitting out at a BBQ though.

1 tbsp flour
1 box white cake mix -- 18.25 oz
3 ozs mixed fruit flavored gelatin
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 c cut up watermelon
4 eggs
frosting:
1/2 c butter -- softened
16 ozs powdered sugar
1/2 c cut up watermelon -- (1/2 to 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 325. In a large bowl, sprinkle flour over cake mix. Add gelatin, oil, and watermelon. Mix with electric mixer, adding eggs one at a time. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans. Bake 30 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from sides of the pan and springs back when lightly touched in the center. (val's note: I used a 13x9 pan and baked at 350 until done, about 28 minutes). Frost cake when completely cooled.

For frosting: mix butter and sugar until smooth. gradually blend in watermelon (I used about 3/4 cup) until spreading consistency is reached. if desired, add red food coloring for effect (I used food color. the color without it is pinkish orange -- peachy, sort of).

No comments: