Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Southwestern Confetti Salad

This is quick, easy, and full of vegetables and healthy stuff, so I thought I'd make it for a quick weeknight meal. That would be fine if it weren't so entirely boring. We're also not so much a fan of the cold/tepid main dishes (I definitely did NOT refrigerate it. I did leave it out to sit for 30 minutes though, does that count?). It was boring. I didn't like it at all. Not a make-again.

confetti

Southwestern Confetti Salad
Cooking Light, 7/08

This recipe was one of my husband's staple meals during college. I've made it fresher and healthier by using fresh vegetables and substituting brown rice for white rice. —Karen Waldman, Brookfield, Connecticut

1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup fresh corn kernels -- (about 2 ears)
1 cup coarsely chopped zucchini
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup diced plum tomato
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon minced seeded pickled jalapeƱo peppers
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
15 ounces black beans -- rinsed and drained

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well to combine. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Servings: 6

No comments: