Thursday, June 10, 2010

Karen's Famous Potatoes

When we went to Florida in April, we had dinner over at my uncle's girlfriend's house. She made the best twice-baked potatoes ever of all time! I asked her for the recipe last week and immediately decided to put it on the mealplan for the week.

Now. Her recipe calls for everything to be full-fat (full-flavor, am I right?!), and it is delicious her way. Oh my, it truly is. I just couldn't bring myself to do that. So... I slimmed it down. I baked two potatoes, then added a tablespoon of butter. Just one. A bit of the half-and-half, and.... reduced fat EVERYTHING. I'm Lauren! What do you expect!?

Of course they didn't compare to Karen's, but they were still truly excellent. It's a great recipe for some yummy, yummy potatoes. We would definitely make these again!

potato

Karen's Famous Twice-Baked Potatoes
As written by Karen


You bake idaho potatoes without tin foil. Split them in half. Scoop out potato into bowl when done. Then you just make mashed potatoes with extra stuff. I do it to taste. Once all potatoes are scooped (try to keep them hot. I take one out oven at a time. If not they get lumpy.) Add half and half, (enough to mash the potatoes and get them creamy) 8 oz sour cream lots of butter and one 8oz. cream cheese. I use all real stuff, no low cal. This is trial and error. Sorry I don't have exact measurements. It's harder to put the potato mixture back in the shell, so if you don't want to do that you can put the mixture in a casserole dish. Once complete, sprinkle with paprika and top with cheese. They can be made the day before. Heat at 350-400 for about 30 minutes or until hot.

No comments: