Sunday, June 06, 2010

Classic Banana Bread

Today for lunch I went out with Laura to New York Bagelry in West Lawn, PA. I got an egg salad sandwich on a multigrain bagel. Sounds pretty simple, right? Wrong. My multigrain bagel had...raisins. What? And no one told me when I ordered?! That was bizarre. Luckily they weren't very noticeable and the bagel didn't have any cinnamon, so it was all still edible. The egg salad itself was very good.

Tonight I made our favorite shrimp po'boys, along with some creamed leeks. I think the key to making them awesome was, in fact, to 'accidentally' over-brown them like I did before. They were just alright this time around.

And then....

BANANA BREAD! I've purposely been super-ripening some bananas all week to make a good banana bread, and this one is insanely simple. It does not have walnuts in it, which is fine with me because I prefer it without walnuts (though I think we all know I'll eat it regardless), and is incredibly moist and springy from the bananas and yogurt. I loved this. I would make this as a gift for people! It's such a great, standard, light recipe. Definitely a make-again.

bananas

Classic Banana Bread
Cooking Light, September 2003

We love this bread's moist texture and simple flavor. Banana bread should form a crack down the center as it bakes--a sign the baking soda is doing its job.

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter -- softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana -- (about 3 bananas)
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 1 loaf

No comments: