Monday, June 21, 2010

Cake Balls

My dad loves Pillsbury Funfetti cake. LOVES IT. I bought him a Yankee Candle at Christmas called "christmas cupcake" because it smells like Funfetti, and he'd just sit there sniffing it. He is a fan. So for Father's Day, instead of just baking the cake, I went one step further and tried out cake balls.

Cake balls, you see, are so easy that they do not require a recipe. I will type one for you. I first heard about them from my classmate, Emily, during grad school. Then I heard about them again on Bakerella. Then my coworker made them. And then I decided I should make them.

I made ours with Funfetti cake, reduced-sugar vanilla frosting, and Ghirardelli white chocolate chips. They turned out PERFECTLY. They traveled well, tasted delicious, and got a seal of approval from my dad. Definitely a make-again in many varieties. I will need to find a frosting that is trans-fat free though :( I was very upset that I couldn't find any in the grocery store so I sucked it up and bought some anyway. I just have to delude myself into thinking I didn't ingest as much trans fat as I actually did. Sigh. But yum!

balls

P.S. For a ton of fun variations, like Cake Pops, go to Bakerella. TONS of cake pop and cake ball ideas.

My dad and his cakeball:
dad

balls

Cake Balls

1. Make a sheet cake using a boxed mix of your choice.
2. Crumble it up in a bowl and mix it up with a whole 16 oz can of frosting.
3. Roll into little balls, the size of your choice (ours were like ping-pong balls). Stick them in the freezer for a bit to harden up.
4. Melt some chocolate chips or baking chips in the microwave (30 seconds, stir, 30 more seconds, stir). Roll the balls around in the chocolate, then put back on a baking sheet and put in the refrigerator.
5. Eat.

1 comment:

karolyn said...

OH.MY.GOD. Those sound de-freaking-licious. Russ is the biggest funfetti cake fan ever. Maybe it's an air force thing? haha. Anyway, I will definitely need to try these out!