Monday, May 17, 2010

Raspberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

I've been collecting recipes and reading cooking magazines for a LONG time, so it's fun when I come across a little gem I've had for years and years but never made. This one is more than 10 years old! And it's too bad I've never made it before because it's certainly one of the best ice creams I've ever made. Oh my goodness. It is absolutely delicious. It tastes so rich and decadent, but it isn't! The other awesome thing about it is that it doesn't have the weird ice-crystal consistency that sometimes occurs in ice creams that only use milk rather than a custard base. This is all solid and creamy. It is wonderful. I would definitely make this again. I'll have to, since we've eaten almost all of the batch I made!

sorbet

Raspberry-Buttermilk Sherbet
Cooking Light, March 1998

14 ounces frozen unsweetened raspberries -- thawed
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 cup low-fat buttermilk

1. Place raspberries in a food processor; process until smooth. Strain raspberries through a sieve into a bowl, reserving raspberry purée. Discard solids. Combine raspberry puree, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in milks.

2. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.

No comments: