Monday, May 10, 2010

One-Dish Hot Fudge Swirl FAIL

For Mother's Day, we went to Connecticut to visit our moms. We had a nice barbecue and my mom made some yummy food. I had originally planned to cook but didn't, but I had a dessert all ready. I made a raspberry coulis (sauce) in advance, that I will include a recipe to momentarily, which was very good. So then I threw together the dessert. It's from a recipe I've had for awhile. I guess I was expecting it to be more like a lava cake. It wasn't. It was like bread with chocolate on top. It was terrible. TERRIBLE. Marc ate the whole thing and was like, "What, I like bread." I was already incredibly emotional and that just pushed me over. I cried so hard. It was a terrible recipe, which Fleischmann's must know since it's not on their website. Oh gosh. What a disaster!

Pictures of the food my mom made:

food

food

Here's how to make the raspberry coulis, which was yummy and easy:

Raspberry Coulis
Sara's Secrets on the Food Network

1 (10-ounces) package frozen raspberries in syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Puree raspberries with syrup, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids.

Coulis keeps 3 days, covered and chilled. You can also make this coulis with fresh raspberries. The amounts will be slightly different: Use 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries and 1/4 cup sugar.

And here's the goddamn awful "thing."

ugh

One-Dish Hot Fudge Swirl
Fleischmann's advertisement

Batter
Mazola® PURETM Cooking Spray
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 envelopes Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
2 tablespoons buter OR margarine, melted

Chocolate Topping
1 cup (11.75 ounce jar) hot fudge sauce, regular or dark chocolate (Don't substitute chocolate syrup for hot fudge sauce.)

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

MIX batter ingredients in a pre-sprayed 9-1/2-inch deep dish pie plate.

TOP batter with evenly spaced spoonfuls of hot fudge sauce. Using spoon, swirl fudge sauce into batter.

BAKE by placing in a COLD oven; set temperature to 350°F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and firm in center. Cool 10 minutes. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over warm cake.

Yield: 8 servings

No comments: