Thursday, April 08, 2010

Szechuan Black–eyed Pea Salad

So, I'm getting used to using Living Cookbook to store all of my recipes. I'm not quite "there" yet and I've only imported like 4 recipes (I am going to start doing the other 2000 in a moment), but I'm loving it so far. It's just taking some time to adjust. I am resistant to change.

Before I discuss tonight's recipe, I have to share with you what I have been having as my daily treat:

milk

Little boxes of Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk. I have been craving chocolate milk like every day for months, and when I found this in bulk ($13 for 18 boxes?) I bought it impulsively. The boxes sit in your pantry like Parmalat, and then you refrigerate them when you're ready to drink. I am super-addicted to them. I love that my body does not reject organic milk in the same fashion with which it rejects 'regular' milk.

Without further ado, I made this super-fast salad. I was so unimpressed. It won awards at Vegetarian Times. Why? I don't understand. It's so funny because some of the greatest recipes come from this magazine, but then when they have a recipe contest, the winners SUCK. Why? They need better judges, I think. So this was meh and I wouldn't make it again.

beans

Szechuan Black–eyed Pea Salad
Vegetarian Times, November 2009

2 14–oz. cans black–eyed peas -- rinsed and drained
1 medium green bell pepper -- chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 jalapeño chile -- seeded and finely minced (2 Tbs.)
1 clove garlic -- minced (1 tsp.)
1 avocado -- cubed (1 cup)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegan Szechuan sauce
2 teaspoons sugar

1. Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in large bowl. Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl. Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.

2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado. Add black-eyed pea mixture, and toss to mix.

No comments: