Monday, April 05, 2010

Spicy Malaysian-Style Stir-Fried Noodles

First I would like to mention that I have switched to a new computer and discovered that my recipe program that I've used for 5 years is no longer made, so I am having to switch to a new one. After reviewing options, I have chosen Living Cookbook, but it is terrifying and will require me to enter in all thousand-bajillions of my recipes manually and this is very frightening to me. I have heard great things about LC and have heard it's super-easy to use, but new ways of doing things freak me out.

Tonight I made this noodle dish using frozen lo mein noodles. I didn't know they existed but they were really neat. Much better than using linguine or spaghetti in its place. The only thing I noticed was that they were a little too oily. Not surprising, but something to keep in mind. The rest of it came together quickly and was fairly simple. I sauteed the tofu until it was baked and golden so it would have a more appealing texture. We were kind of disappointed by this dish in general. It was nothing very special and was a little bit reminiscent of one of our older favorites, Sesame Noodles with Napa Cabbage, which was WAY better. I wouldn't make this again.

malaysia

Spicy Malaysian-Style Stir-Fried Noodles
Cooking Light, October 2009

This popular Southeast Asian street fare is known as mee goreng (fried noodles). Look for the sweet bean sauce and noodles (which are sometimes frozen) at Asian markets; substitute dried linguine for lo mein. You can always use less chile paste to make a milder version.

1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
1 (1-pound) package fresh Chinese lo mein egg noodles
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 heads baby bok choy, trimmed and cut crosswise into 2-inch-thick strips
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons sweet bean sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1. Line a plate with a triple layer of paper towels; top with tofu. Place a triple layer of paper towels on top of tofu; top with another plate. Let stand 20 minutes. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.

2. Cook noodles in a large pan of boiling water 3 minutes or until done; drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Wipe pan with paper towels. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add salt and bok choy; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 4 minutes.

3. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring until combined. Add noodles, remaining 1/2 cup cooking liquid, and sugar mixture to pan; toss to combine. Cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated, tossing to coat. Add tofu; toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: