Thursday, April 01, 2010

Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake

Oh, Paula Deen, with your inappropriate cake titles.

First things first: the halushki is excellent warmed up. Big fan. Thanks to the anonymous commenter, who turns out to be PorshaJo! Who knew I had readers who weren't just friends or coworkers? This is very exciting to me. Thank you for encouraging me to make halushki, because I loved it!

Now, this cake. You know I typically don't like to make things with processed or prepared ingredients, but it was a Wednesday night and I was predominantly making this for work. I had an awful week; therefore, everyone needs cake. As the VP of my company said, "Oddly, that logic makes complete sense." So this cake was an easy-peasy recipe that took zero time and was easily assembled last night. I toasted the coconut this morning while I microwaved a muffin for breakfast and took it separate from the cake to be assembled at the office.

I had the first piece (only a few people were in when I came in) and it was DELICIOUS! People came up to me all day telling me how yummy it was. And by 4:00, I reached a point where I had to remove the cake from the front desk so I'd be able to bring a piece home! If I hadn't taken it, I think the whole cake would have been gone! Keep in mind there are maybe 5 people in the office at a given time, and maybe 20 total. Crazy! I'm so glad people liked it.

Now. Despite the boxed ingredients, I did do my best to lighten it. I used a reduced-sugar cake mix, sugar-free fat-free pudding mix, 1% milk, and fat-free Cool Whip in place of the whipped cream. In addition, I cooked the pineapple with like 3 Tbsp of brown sugar instead of 1 1/3 cups of white sugar. Good lord. The cake was sweet enough as is - it REALLY wouldn't have needed a whole cup+ of sugar. No way. I like it the way I made it. And I would make this again in a pinch for other group events. Delicious!

cake

Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake
Paula Deen

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

Yield: 16-20 servings

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I've had a version of this cake before and it is indeed delicious! I am intrigued by how you made it though because I do recall it being almost sickeningly sweet.

mass girl said...

this sounds delicious, i am totally going to make it, with lighter substitutions too. i always make cake mixes with applesauce instead of oil too

PorshaJo said...

Glad you really enjoyed the halushki. Also, I have been reading your blog/site for about 2 years now. But *rarely* ever post. I'm sure you have many other "lurkers" on your site that do the same. :-)

And the cake looks great! Though I might have to lighten it up a bit.