Saturday, April 10, 2010

Blueberry Lime Bars

This recipe was posted on the Cooking Light forums and was adapted from a recipe using strawberries and lemon, but the person who posted it changed it to blueberries and lime. Since I had some blueberries in the refrigerator, I decided to make these bars. I actually made them last night because I was bored. It did not take very long and was pretty easy. The custardy topping isn't as thick as I thought it would be, so proportionally to the crust it's kind of off, but it all tastes very good. And even though I don't usually like egg-based desserts, the custard is not very... well, custardy. It's good. I like it. I liked the lime/blueberry combination. I'd like to try it with blueberry/lemon or even *gasp* the original version with strawberries. I'd make this again. He wasn't a fan, but when is he ever.

I'm going to post the recipe as it was posted on the boards. All notes are care of the original poster, Avariell. The picture is all mine though!

lime

Blueberry Lime Bars
(Adapted from Strawberry Lemon Bars)
From Delicious Fruit Desserts by Dot Vartan

For the crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened


For the filling
3 egg yolks
zest of 1 lemon (I used the zest of 2 limes)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used lime juice)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup fresh diced strawberries (I used 1 cup fresh blueberries)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using an electric mixer), use the paddle attachment to beat the flour, confectioners sugar, and butter together at medium speed until blended. Press the dough firmly into the bottom and 1/2-inch up the sides of an 8x8 baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or just until turning golden brown. Remove and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. In a separate small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until combined. Pour into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it gets thick and the whisk leaves a trail, about 5 minutes. (This part took longer for me - probably because I was using an electric stove... maybe more like 10-12 minutes.) Remove the lemon custard from the heat; if you like, you can cool it down a little by placing it in a bowl and placing that bowl in an ice-water bath.

Add the diced strawberries to the lemon custard and stir gently just to combine. Pour the custard onto the crust, spread it out evenly in the pan with a silicone spatula, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is set.

Cool completely before cutting into squares. You can dust them with confectioners sugar if you like, but I like to leave them as is so you can see the pretty ruby red bursts of strawberry.

Makes 16.

1 comment:

Lori said...

These look delicious, I can't wait to try them. I've been reading your blog for a year or so now and I really enjoy it. The other food blog I follow is smittenkitchen.com, but she's a lot more technical. Anyway, I've started keeping my recipes online in a blog as well, but it's more so that my boyfriend and I have a searchable format to store our favorites. From your posts I have gathered that you live in PA now, which is my home state! Take advantage of the PA Dutch cooking! My mother swears by the PA Grange Cookbook (http://www.pagrange.org/cookbooks.htm) and always says it's the only cookbook that she will ever need. I disagree, but that's because I try to eat little to no meat. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you have a fan!