Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Buttered Cabbage

Crap. I came on to post this recipe and just realized that I forgot to make the Irish Pirate milkshakes I'd planned on making. I have had TOO MUCH TO DO. Bahhhh. Well. We had the St. Patrick's Day staples anyway: potatoes and cabbage. I made our favorite Crash Hot Potatoes and then we had this buttered cabbage dish that took approximately 8 seconds to make. I have no idea what a "knob" of butter is, but I interpreted it as saying "use only a little bit of butter." I probably used 1-2 tablespoons. It was exceptionally delicious and much nicer than just steaming or boiling the cabbage as often is done in honor of St. Patrick. I really liked this and would make it again even as a regular side dish.

Now if only I'd made the milkshakes :(

cabbage

Buttered Cabbage
Epicurious | February 2008
by Darina Allen
Irish Traditional Cooking

1 lb fresh Savoy cabbage
2 to 4 tablespoons butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
an extra knob of butter

Remove all the tough outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into four, remove the stalk and then cut each quarter into fine shreds, working across the grain. Put 2 or 3 tablespoons of water into a wide saucepan, together with the butter and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, add the cabbage and toss over a high heat, then cover the saucepan and cook for a few minutes. Toss again and add some salt, freshly ground pepper and the knob of butter. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try cooking that cabbage until it's nice and brown and caramelized. Then add cooked noodles. Halushki is wonderful, quick, and filling.