Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wild Rice Crab Cakes

I have no idea why I felt inspired to make crab cakes today, but I did. I did not want to use canned crab because I hate hate HATE picking it over for shell pieces, so I got some surprisingly inexpensive fresh crabmeat. My rice took about 30 minutes to cook (nowhere near the hour the recipe suggests) and it all came together quickly after that. I made the sauce mentioned in the note, with the curry powder. It all was surprisingly delicious! I don't usually like crab cakes so that was fun that I enjoyed this. We would make it again!

crab

Wild Rice Crab Cakes
Cooking Light, October 2000

The addition of cumin to these hearty crab cakes enhances the nuttiness of the wild rice. If you want to top them with a sauce, combine light mayonnaise with lemon juice and a pinch of curry powder. Serve these with lemon wedges.

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Combine cooked wild rice, crab, and next 11 ingredients (crab through egg whites) in a large bowl. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1-inch-thick patty.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties; cook 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.

Yield: 8

No comments: